MariaFuentes

MariaFuentes

My areas of greatest interest are molecular biology, genetics, evolutionary biology, medical, neuroscience, philosophy, biographies and classic literature. I'm a pretty good listener and always aim to learn something from everybody. Love nice conversations that can challenge me.

Thompson & Thompson Genetics in Medicine: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 7e (Thompson and Thompson Genetics in Medicine)
'Robert Nussbaum MD', 'Roderick R. McInnes MD PhD FRS(C)', 'Huntington F Willard PhD'
Case Files: Surgery (LANGE Case Files)
Eugene C. Toy, Terrence Liu, Andre Campbell
Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman This is a very interesting book on psychology in which Daniel Kahneman addresses the way we think in two major systems which he describes as the following:

System 1 being the one that operates automatically and quickly, with little or no effort and no sense of voluntary control, and
System 2 which allocates to the effort full mental activities that demand it, including complex computations. The operations of System 2 are often associated with the subjective experience of agency, choice, and concentration.
Pretty much, system 2 is the lazy one and we usually try to avoid as much as possible and rely only or most of the time on system 1.

Throughout the book, Kahneman uses these two systems to explain how we apply them to judgement, choices, the effect of illusion in understanding, as well as the impact it has on our thinking and if we should be able to trust our instincts under a specific emotion. For example, when we are happy we are more prone to trust our system 1 and not give that much thought to make a decision. Therefore, it is useful in evaluating our emotions specially if we must take and important decision.

Personally, I find the study of the mind fascinating. Why and how we think and behave the way we do. But I do hope that the reductionist molecular approach of the the study of our complex mind will soon give us the answer of what makes us human. I liked this book, it was an interesting psychology approach but, when it comes to the understanding of the mind I always aim for a more neurobiological approach, Eric Kandel style!

However, I do ask myself: Even if we find the answer to understand what is the mind and how exactly do we think,will humans ever settle with theses answers or will we always be in need of something else?